The Owl That Changed My Life by Ruchi Gor


The owl that changed my Life 

by Ruchi Gor

It was a dark and stormy October night. I heard a boom coming from outside. I thought it was lightning making that alarming sound. But it was an owl hooting from a nearby tree. It was the most beautiful animal I had ever seen. I got back to work and sang along to “Roar” by Katy Perry. I’m a fashion designer for a small boutique in Chicago. I worked tirelessly through the night until I had crafted a purple dress. My older brother walked into the room.


        “It’s not my best work.” I said, looking at the purple dress.  
        “It’s beautiful!” he exclaimed.

We both stared at the dress for a while. As he left the room, the smell of ocean breeze lingered. I continued working day and night adding embellishments. Soon, the sun started to rise. I caressed the velvet fabric, it was smooth. I wasn’t proud of the dress. It was bland and lacked uniqueness. 

I heard the owl hooting again. I looked out the window and stared at the owl. I loved the way the colors of its fur blended. I was inspired. I sat at my sewing machine all day until I had created the dress. I admired it. I finally felt proud of myself. I watched as the owl lifted and flew away. The dress was inspired by that owl. It had shown me the beauty in life. 

The next morning, I took the dress down to the boutique. A woman bought it for her wedding. A week later, I got a call from her. She was a fashion designer for Louis Vuitton. She raved on about the intricacy of the dress. She wanted to help me pursue fashion. With her mentorship, I flourished. From that day I created more dresses inspired by the beauty around me. I started to sell them online for a profit. My dresses caught the attention of many woman around the world. The popularity of my designs was growing in perpetuity. For the first time, I felt like fashion was my destiny. 

The greatest day of my life was the day that I saw my design in the window of Zara. I didn’t know it at the time but the noisy owl, hooting from the trees would change my life. A month ago, I was an insecure fashion designer who made clothes in her bedroom. Now I am proud to say that my dresses are being sold internationally, at some of the biggest retailers in the world. After a mere 2 years, I had made so much money. I was set for life. Now, all I wanted to do was travel the world. 

I packed my bags, bought a pet owl, and went to all the places I could have only dreamed of visiting. I was the happiest person in the world. Money couldn’t buy me happiness, but the sights that I saw and the people that I met did.

That night as I lay in bed, I heard a familiar hooting. I looked out the window and saw the owl perched in the same tree. 

        “Thank you,” I whispered.


THE END!

Comments